Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Channelling Martha Stewart!


My little sister is getting married in early September and I am a bridesmaid! I live so far away that I was feeling a little bit sad that I couldn't really be there for her to help with the planning. I can't even be there for the shower. I did get to go to her dress fitting when we were in Canada last week and she looks gorgeous! She was telling me that she was having trouble deciding on what to do about favors for the people at the reception. This wedding is on a pretty tight budget and she was worried she wouldn't be able to afford anything nice. Then the light bulb went on in my head! SOAP! So I told her I would do all the favors for her and she was so happy! So the past few days I've been making 120 little heart and rose shaped soaps with a honey almond and apple raspberry scent. I've been wrapping them in ivory tulle and tying them up with ribbon. I feel like Martha Stewart or something!
It feels good to know I'm helping her out in some small way and she has one less thing to stress over. Although she is a very good bride- to- be. Not at all a bridezilla. She's only had three months to plan the wedding so she tells me she doesn't have a lot of time to stress over details because everything has to be decided so quickly. It's going to be a very interesting wedding. She's walking up the aisle to a string quartet playing "Smashing Pumpkins" and the reception is in a barn out in the woods. My mom is a little bit horrified. But I think the wedding will be just like my sister. Laid-back and unpretentious and lots of fun.
Bridget the cat is doing well. She is finally flea free and is putting on some healthy weight. She's into EVERYTHING. I'll find her in cupboards or up on top of book cases. And she wakes us up promptly at 5 am every morning. It's a little bit exhausting but we love her :)

3 comments:

Alicia Chenaux said...

I LOVE the idea of soap as a wedding favor! So much more original and useful than like, candy bars or cards with a poem on them. And yay for her for not being a Bridezilla. I was the maid of honor for a Bridezilla who didn't let us KNOW she was truly one until a couple of days before the wedding. Oh, there were inklings here and there. But the monster popped out once the family & friends came to town. I seriously thought the groom was going to call the whole thing off, her behavior was that bad. Luckily we got her drunk, she forgot about being a Bridezilla, and the wedding vows were said in a raspy voice that most of the audience thought was that way from her being overemotional, but we all knew it was because she'd been screaming and jumping around in a bar for about 5 hours the night before.

Joonie said...

LOL...I love that story, Ali!

Speaking of soap..../me taps foot. LOL

I love that idea, too. Soap is a much nicer idea and that it was made by you makes it that even more special.

:) hugs..Joonie

Bitter Chocolate said...

What a sweet idea! I envy you having a wedding to attend, I've only been to one in my life and I was about 5 years old so I don't really remember much... even in SL I had to get married myself to actually attend a wedding there LOL