Wednesday, June 11, 2008

My self-esteem has taken a beating!




Well.....I flunked my driving test. It was horrible. I was so nervous this morning I thought I would throw up. I managed to keep it together and started the test. Everything was going well. I was signaling, checking my mirrors. My lane changes were perfect. I was just starting to calm down and relax when the driving instructor asked me to pull onto a deserted side street. I did so and she asked me park on the side of the road. Which I did with no problems. But then she asked me to back up the car straight along side the curb about three car lengths. I tried and my back wheel went up on the curb. That's an automatic fail. If I strike any object, even a curb that's it. I FAIL. It was terrible. I thought I would cry but I managed to keep it together. Rick took me out for breakfast and even managed to make me laugh a little bit. And I guess next time I take the test I won't be as nervous because I'll know what to expect. But I wish I had passed. Now I have to make another appointment and it could take forever! My mom sent me a nice email telling me she is proud of me anyway and not to give up. Then she said she always goes up on the curb which made me laugh but it also made me wonder how she ever got her license because she is the worst driver I've ever seen. haha






Onto better things... the BBBC question of the day is about SL weather and RL extreme weather experiences. I think I'll talk about my RL adventure with weather because it's more interesting for me.



In 1998, Quebec and Ontario experienced the Ice Storm. It was a freak storm that brought over 80 hours of steady freezing rain to these areas. I was in Montreal at the time. It started off like a normal winter storm. Nobody thought anything of it until the freak storm system collided with the small storm front. It was just insane. The power went out region after region. The ice was so thick it was destroying all the power lines. Some people had generators but most people had to go to emergency shelters. Some people died because they either froze to death in their houses or they died of carbon monxide inhalation from poorly ventilated fireplaces. The city was declared a state of emergency and the military came in to evacuate neighborhoods and make sure nobody was looting or staying in their houses without power. I was working at a bar and going to school at the time. My school was closed and I just lived at the bar. They had a generator and we just became a shelter. The cook made lots of soup and sandwiches and we had sleeping bags everywhere and it was actually quite fun. It wasn't fun for everyone though. The entire power grid had to be rebuilt and there were some places in the rural areas that didn't regain power for two or three months. The main city was up again in a few days but my apartment didn't have power for two weeks. It was crazy. But really beautiful too. The ice was everywhere. It destroyed a lot of trees but they still looked amazing all outlined with ice. I've never seen anything like it. I probably won't be seeing much ice now that I live in Southern California but I've already seen the wildfires here which were very exciting but scary too. I'm glad I don't have to drive in the snow or ice. Not that I have my driver's license yet. Oh nuts. Now I'm all depressed again. I'm going to go pout for a little while.






6 comments:

C said...

Oh no, oh no *hugs*

I'm so sorry the test didn't work out, but think of it as a practice test. Who does things perfect the first time anyway? Pfffft.

You are so going to rock it next time I know it.

*hugs again*

Aimee said...

Thanks Cen! lol I'm doing better now. It's just embarassing lol. I practiced so hard and I just forgot everything I thought I knew lol
thanks for putting a smile on my face! :)

Alicia Chenaux said...

I had to take my test twice! I did go to driving school, but since I was 19 I couldn't take the test through the school, I had to go to the DMV. Well, at driving school they don't teach you to parallel park, which is a requirement on the state test. It was the first thing the tester told me to do and I freaked out. You have to do it between 2 poles, and wham! I hit the back pole right away. LOL My mom and I practiced that night for about 3 hours and I went back the very next day and got the same tester. Well, I managed to do the parking this time but she gave me a 72 on my whole test and said that while I qualified for a license, I might think about waiting since 72 out of 100 was barely passing. Whatever, I got that sucker and never parallel parked again. LOL! You'll do it next time!!

Trouble Houston said...

Don't worry for your driving test. I needed 5 times to pass it. The first time, I did enter a one way road in the oposite direction, The second time, I almost crash, the third time... better do not continue..
For me you are doing very well this time, and next time I am sure you will be success.

About weather experiences, I am so sorry... It is somethig to write about in my next post....

Tr.

Aimee said...

Thanks so much guys! I was so embarassed about failing my test that I didn't want to write about it. But now I feel better that other people have found it difficult too. I don't feel alone anymore. That's one of the best things about blogging I think :)

Joonie said...

Aimee..I'm so far behind on comments but I am reading them every day!

The photos on this blog entry are so beautiful! I love snow pics.

I failed my first test, too! LOL I could NOT parallel park for anything! I kept trying and trying and getting more and more nervous and frustrated. The man that was grading me finally just said to STOP! hahahhaaha!

I used to be embarassed to admit that, but looks like I'm in good company! I think we should start a group in SL - hmmm....HAWT BAD DRIVERS? hahaha!

hugs! Joonie