Friday, June 20, 2008

Blogging

I was reading Cen's blog today and she was talking about how free you should be to post anything you want on a blog. This is an interesting issue for me because of past experiences. When I first started my SL back in 2006 I started reading personal blogs about SL and I thought I would start one. I love to write and it helps me sort out my thoughts. I wrote about everything that was going on in my SL and about how I was falling in love with Rick. I was completely open about my feelings. I also wrote about the pain of our break-up on that blog and what I was going through.

I never wanted to hurt anyone with my words. It was just a blog about my feelings. It was a place to pour out my heart and get some relief. I couldn't talk about what was going on to anyone in RL because I didn't feel they would understand at all. It was my words and my feelings. I didn't name any names. But my blog was out there in cyberspace for anyone to see. And what I didn't understand is that other people who knew me in SL and knew my blog could take my words and write about them. (Kind of like what I'm doing now because I was inspired by Cen's post!) And this person wasn't as careful as I was not to name names. Out of a misguided sense of loyalty to me they wrote their own viewpoint on things and it was hurtful to others and an invasion of their privacy. I didn't want any part of that and I was so upset that I'd indirectly caused that. I deleted all the posts on my blog because I felt so bad. I didn't know how to delete my whole blog so I just wrote a post saying that I was taking a break from blogging for awhile and left it at that.

I'm blogging again because I love having a place to write and I like the sense of community bloggers have. But I'm also more aware now that I only have control over what I put out there. And I can't necessarily control what happens to my blog after I've posted something. So I'll be careful that it's not something that will cause pain or hard feelings for anyone else. I've learned now that I can always write a post and save it as a draft. That way I can read it again when I'm feeling more objective and decide if it's worth posting. Or I can use the privacy controls. I didn't know any of this when I deleted my blog. I was such a newbie! So I guess my guidelines for blogging involve making sure I don't post anything when I'm overly emotional and making sure I know how to use the blogging controls! I just learned how to insert links into my text so I'm doing a bit better! :)

4 comments:

C said...

Thanks so much for sharing this! I honestly never knew your story, it either happened before my time or I was under a rock somewhere.

I think you've captured some of my fears, that I may not intend to do any harm, but things can be misinterpreted or can have a ripple affect.

Joonie said...

Aimee, I am so glad you're back. You have a wonderful way of sharing and through your words, it's obvious to see what an awesome person you are.

I struggle with this issue, as well. I worry sometimes that, in my effort to be funny or entertaining, I can come across as hurtful and sarcastic.

On the other hand, it is my blog and my place to express my feelings, fears, loves, friendships, good times,and disappointments. Maybe the key is in not naming names.

I read an article online earlier that had like "rules for blogging." One of the rules was, don't share personal, breakup info in your blog. My first reaction was to go delete all my whiny posts about kilo. I was mortified that I hadn't followed some Code of Blogging Ethics. But then, I thought of all the ppl that may have read it and didn't feel so alone in their emotions. And that maybe it helped someone somewhere who might be going through the same thing.

I don't know what the "right" thing to do is. So I'll just keep sharing where I'm at and hope I don't hurt anyone in the process.

Sorry for the blabbing! Geeez!

Hugs to you, Aimee

JJ

Writ of Hocus Pocus said...

Very good points! You said what I was 'trying' to say in my response to Cen's post. :P Well put!

Joonie said...

Aimeeeeeeeeeeeeeee! *cough*youhaven'tpostesinceforever*cough*

Hugs...miss you
Joonie